Wheat dosa is a fast and simple dosa selection made with entire wheat flour, rice flour, onions or shallots, herbs and spices. It is usually known as as Godhuma Dosa or Atta Dosa. There are a lot of variations of creating this wheat flour dosa. My recipe makes for a crispy dosa and the feel is just like Rava Dosa which is constituted of semolina. Make this wheat dosa if you find yourself craving a fast and wholesome snack or breakfast.
About Wheat Dosa
Being followers of fermented dosa, there are some fast dosa varieties too that we like e.g. Instant Dosa, Rava dosa, Oats Dosa and many others. This atta dosa can also be a favourite. The best variant of this recipe is made with wheat flour, water or buttermilk and salt.
However on this recipe I make it extra flavorful by including shallots, curry leaves, ginger and a few spices. The recipe can also be vegan as I’ve not used buttermilk or curd.
The wheat flour batter is ready with water. To get a barely tangy style, I’ve added lemon juice. To make a vegetarian model, you’ll be able to add buttermilk as a substitute of water to make the batter.
This dish could be very straightforward to arrange. You merely want to combine all of the components and let the batter sit or relaxation for half-hour. Later you can also make the dosas on a scorching skillet or seasoned tawa. There may be completely no must ferment the batter. That is greatest a part of this recipe.
When the wheat dosa batter is resting, you’ll be able to put together Coconut Chutney or any chutney of your selection. You can even make forward the batter in a single day and refrigerate in order that within the morning you’ll be able to rapidly put together breakfast.
The convenience of this recipe makes it an excellent possibility for breakfast and even for brunch or a fast snack.
Godhuma Dosa will be made each delicate or crisp. It may be thick or skinny. The recipe, I’m sharing is to make a crisp model of Godhuma dosa. We aren’t so keen on the delicate model, as they style extra like chapati. However the crisp model flavored with shallots and spices doesn’t style like chapati. Nevertheless, you do get the style of wheat flour within the dosa.
All the time add the herbs and spices within the batter. This fashion the godhuma dosa tastes higher than the plain ones.
These dosa need to be served scorching. You possibly can serve wheat dosa with idli podi or with coconut chutney. The leftover batter will be refrigerated for a day.
The best way to make Wheat Dosa
1. Take 1 cup entire wheat flour (atta) and ¼ cup rice flour in a mixing bowl.
When you have coarser wheat flour or your flour has quite a lot of bran then do sift it a few times. The rice flour helps to present a crispy texture.
2. Add the next components:
- ¼ cup sliced shallots or ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon of finely chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- pinch of hing (asafoetida)
3. Add 2.5 cups water or as required. Relying on the standard of atta, you’ll be able to add much less or extra water.
The batter must be flowing and skinny. If the batter seems thick or has a medium consistency, then add extra water. If the batter seems very skinny and runny, then add some rice flour.
4. Combine very properly. There will be tremendous lumps of the atta like moist sand varieties, so break these whereas mixing. You should utilize your palms additionally to combine the batter. Even a wired whisk can be utilized.
5. Now add 1 teaspoon lemon juice for some tang.
6. Season with salt as per style. Combine once more.
7. Right here is a photograph exhibiting the consistency. Cowl the bowl and let the batter relaxation for about half-hour.
8. After half-hour, you will notice water floating on prime and the flours will settle on the backside.
9. Combine the batter totally once more, earlier than you begin to cook dinner the wheat dosa.
Cooking Wheat Dosa
10. Warmth the tava or non-stick pan or a skillet. Let the tawa or skillet turn out to be scorching. Grease the pan utilizing a small piece of cotton cloth or paper serviette or half of a sliced onion, both of which has been dipped in oil.
Take note to make use of a well-seasoned cast-iron tawa or pan or skillet in order that the wheat dosa doesn’t stick whereas cooking.
11. With a ladle pour the batter. Begin from the perimeters and transfer in the direction of the middle.
12. If there are massive or small gaps, then fill them evenly with the batter.
13. On low to medium warmth, cook dinner the godhuma dosa.
14. When the highest aspect seems cooked, then sprinkle ½ to 1 teaspoon oil from the highest and unfold it all around the atta dosa with a spoon.
You can even use ghee or butter as a substitute of oil for those who like. Use any impartial flavored oil or coconut oil.
15. Wheat flour dosa takes a bit longer time to cook dinner than the common Dosa. so cook dinner until the bottom is golden and crisp.
16. As soon as the bottom turns into golden or crisp, then flip and cook dinner the opposite aspect of godhuma dosa. Often, I cook dinner either side. However you’ll be able to simply cook dinner the bottom and when the highest can also be cooked, fold the atta dosa and serve.
17. Prepare dinner the second aspect additionally until crisp and with some golden spots.
18. Then flip it.
19. And fold.
20. Serve wheat dosa instantly. Put together all atta dosa this fashion in batches and keep in mind to serve them scorching for the very best style and texture.
The flours calm down on the backside of the bowl. So it’s important to stir and blend the batter very properly each time you make wheat flour dosa.
In case the batter turns into thick after making a couple of dosa, then add some water and stir once more.
21. Serve wheat dosa with coconut chutney or dosa podi or any of your favourite Chutney Recipe like onion chutney, peanut chutney, tomato chutney and many others.
Tricks to make Crispy Wheat Dosa
- The tawa must be scorching earlier than you pour the batter or else you gained’t get the online impact.
- Pour the batter a bit from a top, so that you simply get the online impact.
- Entire wheat dosa takes an extended time to cook dinner. So solely when the bottom is crisp and golden, then solely flip it.
- Use a well-seasoned iron/forged iron pan to make these dosas or use a thick bottomed non-stick pan. Or else the dosa will keep on with the pan.
- The batter must be of skinny flowing consistency and never have medium or thick consistency. Do make an observation about this. If the consistency is medium to thick then your atta dosa won’t be crisp however delicate. The quantity of water added to the batter makes a giant distinction to the feel of the wheat dosa.
Extra dosa varieties for you !
- Cheese dosa– a straightforward and attractive dosa selection made with leftover dosa batter.
- Ragi dosa – wholesome dosa selection made with finger millet flour, idli rice and urad dal.
- Set dosa – it is a very delicate, gentle and spongy dosa selection.
- Masala dosa – the recipe publish shares each the strategy of getting ready dosa batter in addition to the potato masala.
For those who made this recipe, please make sure to charge it within the recipe card under. Sign Up for my electronic mail e-newsletter or you’ll be able to comply with me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspirations.
Wheat dosa is a fast and simple dosa selection made with entire wheat flour, rice flour, onions or shallots, herbs and spices. It is usually known as as Godhuma Dosa or Atta Dosa.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 25 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
This Wheat Dosa publish from the weblog archives first printed in August 2016 has been republished and up to date on 4 September 2021.