Masala puri is an superior avenue meals snack made with layers of crunchy puri, creamy and spicy white peas gravy, wealthy spices and recent veggies. Our simple Bangalore masala puri is nice to make everytime you a craving a enjoyable and flavorful chaat! Right here you’ll discover step-by-step directions and images to make this tasty snack at dwelling.
About Masala Puri Chaat
Masala puri is a well-liked avenue meals snack that originated in Bangalore, India. Usually masala puri is served in bowls with a number of layers of deliciousness.
It options crispy puri loaded with a spiced white peas gravy, then topped with recent veggies, vibrant floor spices, sev (fried gram flour vermicelli) or crunchy items of pani puri, and cilantro. The result’s a satisfying snack that has an awesome mixture of textures and deep, barely bitter and tangy daring flavors.
This masala puri is impressed by a recipe from Aayis Recipes and in addition with out the inclusion of candy tamarind chutney. It’s additionally just like Ragda Chaat as a layered avenue meals snack, however has a totally completely different style and taste profile. (And make sure you attempt my Ragda Patties recipe, too!)
Notice that to correctly make Bangalore masala puri at dwelling, you do have to have crispy Pani puri or Golgappa. These will be made at dwelling or bought from a candy store or on-line grocery shops.
Getting ready these crispy puri at dwelling isn’t troublesome and will be made in a big batch a day or so forward of time. That approach you’re able to go once you need to make masala puri.
Take pleasure in this tangy, spicy masala puri chaat snack straight away as quickly as you assemble and make it!
The best way to make Masala Puri
Stress cooking white peas
1. Rinse after which soak 1 cup of dried white peas in sufficient water in a single day or for 8 to 9 hours. These peas have a light-weight creamish shade or are creamish yellow.
You possibly can even use dried inexperienced peas or recent inexperienced peas as a substitute of white peas. If utilizing recent inexperienced peas, then simply stress cook dinner them for two to three whistles or boil/steam them in a pan till softened.
2. Drain all of the water and add the soaked white peas to a stovetop stress cooker. Additionally add ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder (about 2 to three pinches floor turmeric).
3. Then add 2 cups of water.
4. Stress cook dinner for 15 to twenty minutes or for 10 to 12 whistle on medium warmth. As soon as the stress falls by itself within the cooker, then solely open the lid and examine if the white peas are cooked.
You need to be capable to mash them simply with a fork or spoon. If they don’t seem to be totally cooked, then add ½ cup extra water and stress cook dinner for five to 10 extra minutes.
5. The peas ought to be fairly tender and mashable. They shouldn’t be al dente or undercooked from the middle as this may give you digestion issues or abdomen aches.
Making Masala Paste
6. As soon as the dried white peas are cooked, it’s time to make the flavorful masala paste.
To a spice grinder jar add the next elements:
- 1 to 2 mace strands
- 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 inch of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 tiny piece of nutmeg (or 2 pinches of nutmeg powder)
- 2 marathi moggu (kapok or dried capers) – The marathi moggu is elective and will be skipped.
7. Now additionally add 1 tablespoon roasted chana dal to the grinder jar.
8. Subsequent add the next elements:
- 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves (chopped)
- ½ inch ginger (chopped)
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 to 2 inexperienced chilies (chopped)
- ¼ cup tightly packed recent coconut
9. Then add ¼ cup of the cooked white peas and ⅓ cup water.
10. Grind to a clean wonderful paste. Be certain that there aren’t any chunks or tiny items of any elements within the masala paste. Put aside.
Making Peas Gravy
11. Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium-high warmth. Add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
You need to use any neutral-flavored oil.
12. Combine and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
13. Then add ¼ teaspoon pink chili powder and blend nicely. You possibly can change pink chili powder with cayenne pepper or scorching paprika.
14. Now add the inexperienced masala paste.
15. Combine nicely and saute for a minute.
16. Then add the remaining cooked white peas.
17. Add 1 cup water.
18. Season with 2 teaspoons sugar or based on your choice. Additionally add salt as wanted.
19. Combine very nicely and simmer on low to low-medium warmth. Stir often in order that peas or the gravy combination doesn’t stick on the backside of the pan.
20. Proceed to simmer for 12 to fifteen minutes or until you see some oil specks on the highest. The masala ought to get cooked and its rawness ought to go away. As soon as achieved flip off the warmth. Cowl and put aside.
21. In the meantime, whereas the peas gravy is cooking, finely chop 1 medium-sized onion, 1 medium-sized tomato, 1 small lime or lemon and coriander leaves. Put aside.
Assembling and making masala puri
22. On a plate, crush 4 to five Puri which we use for Pani puri.
23. Pour on a beneficiant quantity of the peas gravy. In the event you like some sweetness, then you’ll be able to add candy Tamarind Chutney at this step.
24. Prime with some finely chopped onions and tomatoes. You may also add grated carrot or beetroot if you happen to like.
An alternative choice is so as to add unripe inexperienced mangoes when in season.
25. Sprinkle on chaat masala, black salt or common salt. Additionally, drizzle some lemon juice throughout for some tanginess.
26. Sprinkle some sev on prime. If you would like the crunch of the pooris, then sprinkle crushed puris on prime.
You are able to do this as a substitute of including the puris to the underside of the bowl first, or add them to the underside and prime the masala puri chaat with extra of the crushed puris.
27. Lastly, add some chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) on prime.
28. Serve Bangalore type masala puri straight away. It makes for a filling and wholesome snack. You possibly can take pleasure in as a brunch or as a night snack.
Assemble and put together this chaat snack once you need to eat it. Don’t assemble and put together it earlier because the puri and sev will grow to be soggy.
However you may make forward the person components of this dish like cooked white peas, masala paste, the peas gravy and later assemble them to make the chaat.
This dish is reasonably filling, so as-is my recipe makes 4 massive or 6 small servings. Be at liberty to chop the recipe in half or double the elements to make the appropriate variety of servings you want.
Take pleasure in with crushed items of puri on prime and garnish with chopped recent cilantro and sev. In the event you like you too can add candy tamarind chutney to the dish.
It’s not really useful that you just put together this full dish upfront. The crunchy puri will begin to get soggy quickly after it’s made, so for one of the best style, it is best to take pleasure in straight away.
Nevertheless, you may make and prep the elements – just like the cooked peas, masala paste and peas curry – forward of time. Hold separate till able to assemble and serve the masala puri.
In the event you made this recipe, please make sure you fee it within the recipe card under. Sign Up for my e-mail publication or you’ll be able to comply with me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspirations.
Masala puri is a scrumptious avenue meals snack from bangalore. It’s made with layers of crunchy puri, creamy and spicy dried white peas gravy, wealthy floor spices and recent veggies.
Prep Time 9 hrs
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 9 hrs 20 minutes
For assembling masala puri
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
This Masala Puri publish from the weblog archives first printed in October 2017 has been republished and up to date on 29 August 2021.