This Mysore Bonda recipe (often known as Mysore Bajji) is a well-liked South Indian snack meals made with lentils, chopped recent coconut, recent herbs and vibrant spices. The elements are mixed to create a thick batter, and are then deep fried to make crisp, mushy and fluffy fritters. Make our favourite mysore bonda recipe with step-by-step directions and photographs – plus my foolproof recipe to make scrumptious coconut chutney for dipping!
About Mysore Bonda
Mysore bonda is a yummy snack typically discovered in lots of South Indian states. It is usually known as as Mysore Bajji. They’re spherical fried fritters which can be crispy on the surface and mushy on the within, and brimming with flavorful seasonings.
These fluffy, crunchy, totally addictive snacks are generally served with coconut chutney – however are additionally tasty sufficient to take pleasure in on their very own or with some other chutney!
There are various totally different variations of mysore bonda recipes, every reflecting their distinctive area of origin. Mostly you discover a variation made with all-purpose flour, yogurt, and spices. These bonda are in style in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka. You’ll be able to examine this model of Goli Baje which is equally made.
My most well-liked sort of bonda recipe comes from the Tamil Nadu state and is made with lentils (urad dal, or husked black gram) plus spices and recent aromatics. The batter is much like Medu Vada (black gram fritters). Nonetheless, medu vada are donut-shaped snacks whereas mysore bonda is extra spherical and pillow-like in form.
Preserve studying for my simple selfmade mysore bajji and coconut chutney recipes! The flavorful chutney pairs amazingly nicely with crispy fried bonda.
These bonda and chutney recipes are nice to make for an informal weekend breakfast or tasty night snack!
How one can make Mysore Bonda Recipe
Making Bonda Batter
For the perfect texture I discover you will need to soak the urad dal in a single day, in order that it turns into mushy. Though you wish to take care to have as little water as potential within the lentils when making the batter, so the fritters get completely crispy with out absorbing an excessive amount of oil
1. Soak ½ a cup urad dal (husked black gram) in water for five to six hours, or in a single day. You should utilize entire or break up urad dal with out their husks.
2. Subsequent, drain off all of the water and switch the lentils to a blender or grinder jar.
3. Add 4 to five tablespoons water and grind to a clean, fluffy and thick batter. Scrape the edges down with a spatula whereas mixing to get each piece of lentil floor.
Add water in components whereas grinding. So first add 3 tablespoons water and later add water as wanted to make a thick flowing batter.
4. With a silicon spatula or spoon, switch the batter to a big mixing bowl. Add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of rice flour.
Together with rice flour is non-compulsory. You may also choose so as to add fantastic rava (semolina or suji) as a substitute of rice flour. Each rice flour and rava helps in making the bonda crisp.
TIP: You probably have added extra water and the batter has a medium consistency, then to thicken it, you may add a complete of 1 to 2 tablespoons of rice flour or fantastic rava.
5. Add ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper, ½ inch freshly grated ginger (½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger), 1 chopped inexperienced chilies (½ to 1 teaspoon), 8 to 10 chopped curry leaves, a pinch of asafoetida (hing) and salt as required.
If together with coconut, additionally add 2.5 to three tablespoons of chopped recent coconut.
Be aware: For a gluten-free model, be happy to omit the asafetida or use gluten-free asafetida.
6. Combine very nicely.
7. Now briskly whisk the batter with a spoon for two to three minutes. This provides air to the batter and helps to make the bonda mushy and fluffy in texture.
Frying Mysore Bonda
8. Warmth oil for deep frying in a kadai or a deep pan. Preserve the warmth to medium. As a check, drop a pinch of batter within the oil – if it comes as much as the floor in a gentle movement, then the oil is sizzling. If it comes up in a short time, the oil is just too sizzling and can fry the bondas too shortly. In case the batter stays contained in the oil on the backside of the pan, the oil is probably going not sizzling sufficient for frying.
Use a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon to drop the batter by the spoonful into the recent oil.
Be aware: Don’t overcrowd them!
9. Fry on one aspect till golden. Then use a spoon to show, and proceed frying.
10. Proceed to softly flip and fry the mysore bonda till all sides are golden and crisp.
11. Use a slotted spoon or skimmer to take away the bonda from the pan. Set them on paper towels to take away extra oil.
12. Serve instantly whereas sizzling or heat with coconut chutney or any chutney of your selection. These additionally style good with tomato ketchup.
They’re finest loved sizzling, and sometimes served with coconut chutney and a cup of robust espresso. You may also serve them with different chutney varieties like onion chutney, peanut chutney, ginger chutney, tomato chutney, coriander chutney, mint chutney or any inexperienced chutney.
You doubtless didn’t drain off sufficient water earlier than grinding the soaked urad dal. Make sure to completely drain subsequent time.
When you seen the batter was too runny earlier than frying, sprinkle in a bit extra rice flour into the batter and gently combine once more. Proceed doing this till the consistency is excellent, however take care to not add extra rice flour than wanted. As it will make it dense and fewer mushy.
For the perfect mix of elements to make a tasty fritter with all-purpose flour, I like to recommend you take a look at this simple recipe for Goli baje!
Sure, you may simply double the elements to make twice as most of the bondas.
I recommend that they’re eaten sizzling or heat as they’re made for finest style and texture. Nonetheless you may retailer them in an air-tight container for a couple of hours and devour them on the identical day.
When you made this recipe, please remember to fee it within the recipe card under. Sign Up for my e-mail e-newsletter or you may comply with me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspirations.
Mysore bonda often known as Mysore Bajji is a well-liked South Indian snack made with lentils, recent herbs and vibrant spices. The elements are mixed to create a thick batter, and are then deep fried to make crisp, mushy and fluffy fritters.
Prep Time 8 hrs
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 8 hrs 30 minutes
Servings 14 Mysore Bonda
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
This Mysore Bonda Recipe publish from the weblog archives first printed in July 2013 has been republished and up to date on 7 August 2021.